Sunday, February 10, 2008

I Did It!

I set my pace, paid no attention to others, and ran a nice race! I wasn't going to fall for the “fast start” newbie runners--in their first races--usually succumb to. I ran the way I normally do in training runs. Normally, I start a little faster b/c I have more energy, but somewhere in the middle of a training run I slow in order to keep running. For the race I started slower on purpose, to make myself not rabbit the start.

I passed the first mile marker with a great time. Just a little over a ten minute mile while I felt I was running a twelve! I let out a little “Wahoo” to the timer and kept on going. At some point a little girl in the race wanted to know if I was walking or running. I overheard her ask her mother as I went by. That’s okay.

I started to really fatigue after my initial 30 minutes past. I hadn’t run past 30 minutes yet, but I was forced to do it for the race. I’m pretty thrilled with my time, too! I did the race in 36.5 minutes! That’s a little under a 12 minute mile for a 5k is more than 3 miles! This time provides room for improvement while not being too embarrassing.

My feelings were hurt at the finish line. The jovial, congratulatory race timers ignored my coming in! There were two men at the timer box and the older one turned to the younger one, bending his ear about my performance. A passer-by noticed the obvious lack of encouragement and gave me an in-my-ear, “Great Job!”

I shouldn’t let these two jerks ruin what was a great race for me. No, I’m not speedy, but I accomplished something. I ran my first 5k in over 12 year, and I didn’t walk once!

Afterwards, the headache started. This is the hard part of racing. I’m doomed to a debilitating sinus headache when the race is over. This one was extremely tough and lasted until I went to sleep. I found that eating, actually helps ease the pain, but then I feel like throwing up.

Funny, how I forgot all about the headaches. They say a mother has to forget about childbirth in order to have more children. I do remember—back in the day—calling a race fully successful when I ended without the pain.

Why does it happen, you ask? Well, during races I run with my mouth closed. It’s one of those mannerisms that automatically turn on when around others. I don’t have the same problem training b/c I’m all alone or with hubby. I’ll have to work on it, but vanity is my lot.

2 comments:

Les said...

Congratulations!!! It's been years since I've run a race and I doubt I could do it now without walking. You should be very pleased with your time and effort. Great job!!

I, too, used to get those awful headaches after a race, especially during the summer months. I'll take those over stomach cramps and intestinal distress any day, though.

maggie moran said...

Thank you so much for the support. Hope you stop back by to see the photo. After sizing it up, I understand I have a lot of room for improvement, but I'm still upbeat! ;D

I'm sorry to hear about your headaches, but glad to hear I'm not alone. Wonder if taking an advil before a run will work?