Saturday, December 1, 2007

4, 5 I'm Still Alive!

I just read what my problem is, and I can honestly say I've had this running problem all my life. I associate with my body; therefore, I'm causing myself to become winded. The book, I'm reading Complete Book of Running, says I need to dissociate. I need to be thinking about trees, work, projects, anything other than my body's form or breathing pattern. Too often I concentrate on my breathing pattern which of course slows me down because I notice I'm winded.

Ta-Da!

Man, why didn't someone tell me this sooner. I have always thought I would do better with music or chants such as army runs, because of the music aspect. In reality, these are alternative ways to dissociate from your body and have fun.

The book suggest I play a game. Focus on an object ahead and think about it. "As you run, pretend that everything you see and hear is like a videotape that you're watching at home. Look for particular appealing sights - a birdhouse, pretty flowers, leaves that have been raked, an unusual car - and latch onto them with your mind." p174

I'll try that Monday. I also think I should revisit the program I'm currently struggling to complete. I'm going to change and do the one suggested in CBofR. I may also start from the beginning, and redo this past week. The difference is the amount of walk time in between 2 minute runs. Today, not a muscle hurt or a knee twinged, I just gave up b/c I couldn't breathe. What a baby, right?
I've picked out a 5k to run and may have to change that date. We will see.

Oh, found a penny on heads! See a penny, pick it up, and all day long you'll have good luck.

2 comments:

Les said...

I have always done my best problem-solving while running. The monotony allows me to do a lot of thinking, which helps take my mind off my breathing. One thing I learned from some great runners is to try to keep your hands and arms lose. Let them dangle near where front pockets on pants would be. Don't clench your fists; keep your wrists limp. This all helps you to relax your shoulders. Once I started running this way, I found I was less winded. Go figure!

maggie moran said...

Hey thanks Les! I'm doing much better now. I've run two 30-minute runs! I'll try the hands down tip tomorrow. ;)